2.14.2010

Grandma Jones

 Christmas Day, 2009

Our sweet Grandma Jones went home to be with Jesus on Friday, February 12, 2009.  She died peacefully, just as she had prayed; surrounded by family sharing memories of times shared with her.  She was loved by many, and will be dearly missed.

I have had a whirlwind of thoughts and emotions over the last few days.  It's hard to believe she's gone.  Grandma was such a wonderful person and I have so many great memories of her.  I had become closer to her over the last ten years or so; she had become a mentor for me, spiritually.  She loved God, spent  much of her life helping others, loved to learn and to teach, and always had a positive attitude, despite her circumstances.  I can only hope to be half the woman she was.

Grace and I shared some special time with Grandma the day before she went to heaven.  We stopped in to see her, knowing it may well be our last visit.  Grace helped my mom feed Grandma breakfast.  Grace enjoyed sampling some of the fare: burnt toast, cottage cheese and banana.  Grace wore a special shirt that we knew her Great Grandma would love;  it said, "When God made me, He was showing off."  Grandma smiled and laughed.  Grace enjoyed looking at Great Grandma's hummingbird socks and petting Little One, her cat.

We could tell that Grandma was exhausted, so, after she got into bed,  I gave her a good-bye kiss, told her that I loved her, and then I drove home, crying the whole way; knowing I would not see her again in this life and praying she would die peacefully. The very next day, God took her home.  She was comfortable and surrounded by the love of her family.

Now, although I miss her, I am glad she's home and is experiencing peace and beauty that we can only imagine.  The bible says, "No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him"—1 Corinthians 2:9.

I can only imagine...

2 comments:

  1. Beautifully written, Kreesh. I'm sorry for the loss of such a beautiful spirit in this life, but like you said, she's experiencing great peace and beauty now. I have fond memories of Grandma Jones. She was a truly beautiful person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous14.2.10

    I'm so glad you have been keeping your blog; Grace will be able to look back and understand the importance of people like your Grandma Jones and understand the importance of "family"as expressed in your blog. Sorry for your loss...and thankful that you've captured the importance of your relationship with Grandma Jones in your blog. My thoughts and prayers are with your family through your loss of Grandma Jones.

    ReplyDelete