8.10.2010

Decisions, Decisions...

I am not a good decision maker; I'm one of the worst ever, I'm sure.  The past week has been a good example of my ineptitude.  I've been procrastinating making choices regarding Grace's birthday party, which is this Saturday (I only recently "decided" on the date and who to invite).

Part of me wants to be the creative super-mom who bakes and decorates the cake, makes party favors, and comes up with really cute handmade-yet-chic party decorations.  The whole Martha Stewart complex.  And part of me, the biggest part of me evidently, wants to take the easy road and skip all the fuss.  So, the fuss-skipping won out and I ordered everything online.  And because I procrastinated, which, I always do, I had to pay $17 for shipping.  

Just yesterday I was on the verge of switching the party location to a local beach and adding to the guest list to include more of Grace's little friends.  But last night I changed my mind again, back to the original plan, hopefully this time for good.  I don't know how my Mom puts up with me.  I'm sure it's some yet un-diagnosed neurosis of some sort. 

Then, this morning Grace and I went to every pastry shop, cupcake shop, and cake shop in town.  I couldn't decide what to do and who to choose to do it.  After a few less-than-stellar impressions and an impromptu lunch with Grace at Big Apple Bagels, we went next door to Connie's Cakes.  It smelled wonderful and the lady behind the counter was very kind and accommodating.  I got Grace's cake there last year and it was good.  It didn't blow me away, but it was good.  So I went with it and ordered Grace's Miss Piggy cake, accepting the fact that it won't be beautiful or trendy most likely, which we rarely are anyway, but I know Grace will love it and that's all I really care about.  Really.

And so it will remain until I change my mind again.  In the insightful words of Bobby Brown, "It's My Prerogative."

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous12.8.10

    You are so right...Gracie will love it. The most important thing you can do for Grace is "document" her party on your blog with pictures so she can enjoy it over and over in the years to come. I only wish I had done this kind of thing with my little girls. Our memories aren't what they once were...and it's hard to recall stories without some kind of documentation. You are a wonderful mom...just enjoy the ride!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you parent, you will be surprised what the kids remember, and what they hold dear, and trust me, it will NOT be the cake or decoration, but the pure memories of the day. Relax, enjoy! I just can't believe she is two!

    ReplyDelete