One of my high school classmates recently asked me if I wanted to join her in the Dow 5K Run. I thought it might be just what I needed to get back on the right track with my eating and exercise habits, so I agreed. I have to say, I'm dreading the race a bit and I'm not entirely sure why. It's definitely not a long race; I've done much longer, more challenging runs before (o.k, it has been quite a while). I think it has much more to do with accepting myself as I am now, and not trying to be who I was eleven years ago, when I last participated in the same race, but came in first place (ok...first place in my "age-division"). I had never taken "first place" in anything, and haven't since, which is ok.... really.
This afternoon as I was struggling a bit during my run, I remembered when I first started running. It was kind of a fluke, actually. I was active enough, I guess, usually walking a few times a week, or going to a Step-Aerobics class. During the summer before my senior year in college, my roommate at the time asked if I wanted to go for a run with her. I think we ran one mile. My legs felt like jello afterwards, but I felt great about myself, amazed that I was able to keep up with Laura.
From that day on, I kept running, and running and running. And as my mileage increased, so did my confidence and self-esteem. It was a beautiful thing. The first race I ever ran in was the CMU Alumni Run with my Dad. That was the first of many runs we competed in together. I loved running with my Dad. He always made me feel like I was "fast", and it was actually fun training together. I think the "fun" is what I'm missing now.
Running for me now, has become a literal pain in the butt. If you don't know what a Piriformis is, just be thankful. But, (no pun intended) I'm hoping with a little consistency and a lot of stretching, it won't be such a pain in the rear and that I might actually get back into doing some races again. I'm hoping that I might get to that place again, where I love running, where I can turn on the "auto-pilot" and just cruise and let go of the world around me. I'm hoping for a little more confidence and a little less adipose tissue. I'm hoping, eleven years later, not to finish in last place this time around.
3.07.2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Your photos are all so great. I hope you are submitting them. I love the ones of your dad's truck.
ReplyDeleteGrace is so cute! She looks just you, and then again, just like Dave, the perfect blend!
On the running note, my daughter-in-law started running a year ago and got hooked. She was in several runs last year and literally counted the hours until she could get out and run. She has a 4 1/2 and 2 1/2 year old, managers her own business, as does her husband, so running was a real mental break for her. Last month she "blew out her knee" in a ski accident and is so bummed. Surgery, crutches and therapy, and hopefully she will be back on the road by September. Point is, keep at it and you will get your grove back.