Tarah was my best friend growing up. We were two peas in a pod, so to speak. She lived a few houses down from us on Knoll Drive. This past weekend, I got to reunite with my old friend, who I hadn't seen in more than twenty years. It was a blessing...
My brother, me, and Tarah on our back porch.
It was so special seeing Cindy, Tarah's sister, again.
My, how time flies...
Dave, Grace and I, along with my parents and brother, Seth, drove down to our old stomping grounds in Ohio. Although at times I felt like our eventual destination must be Wally World, we ended up having quite a good time, despite a few bumps in the road (or should I say, barrels), many, many potty-stops, and a near-overdose on Johnny Horton and the Muppets.
We really enjoyed catching up with the Blayney's, Tarah's family. I think all of us were all glad we took the time out of our three-day trip to do that. We met up at her parent's place, who still live in the same house as they did when we lived there. When we walked in, not much had changed. It even smelled the same (in a good way). I was half expecting Tarah's old room to have Duran Duran posters still hanging on the walls and Glamour Gals in her closet. No such luck, though. It definitely took me back, and it was great to catch up, if only for a couple of hours. Tarah has a beautiful family of her own now - a son, Kevin, who is two, and a daughter, Rachel, six. Grace was quite taken with both of them, especially Kevin. They had quite a good time playing while the adults reminisced.
Honestly, I really wasn't sure what Granville would be like twenty-some years later, but, I was pleasantly surprised that, while there were some changes to the small town of my youth (new subdivisions and the like), it was not nearly as developed as I had feared. Many "green areas" have been preserved, and most of the new businesses that have gone in are still independent, small businesses, and not part of larger, national chains.
Downtown Granville...
Grace was quite fond of the new frozen custard shop
The Buxton Inn
The Library. So many story-time memories...
The Granville Inn




I'm so glad you guys all went back to Granville...what a trip back in time for you all.
ReplyDeleteAs always, wonderful pictures...and great connections with old friends.
Aunt Deb
What a wonderful experience for you all to have together. I remember Granville fondly (not the town as much as seeing you when we came to visit). I do remember Tarah, too! That's so wonderful that you were able to reconnect. Can't wait to hear more.
ReplyDelete