12.26.2010

Our Christmas, 2010

I was so excited for Christmas this year.  It seemed like it took forever to get here.  We watched plenty of Christmas movies, and read all of our Christmas stories countless times.  Finally, the day arrived.  Celebrating with Grace was so much fun, although she did have a typical two-year old's attention span, opening two gifts and then wanting to move on to cooking in her kitchen and eating candy canes and suckers.  (When I asked Grace what she wanted for Christmas, a sucker and a candy were the only things on her list. How could I let her down?)  We didn't go too crazy this year--Grace only received a few gifts from us (partially because I had a feeling she's be getting quite a bit from the grandparents).  What a change from last year though, when she had very little interest in Christmas. This year we started planting little seeds of what Christmas is really all about (explaining the importance of helping others in need, why we celebrate Christmas, etc).  Next year, as her understanding improves, we can do more to demonstrate these principles. 

I struggled with how to handle Santa Claus this year--he was present in many of our books and on television, but we never discussed him or told Grace that he'd be stopping by our home.  We thought about visiting him at the courthouse downtown, but never got around to it.  I guess my view is why encourage her to "believe" in someone who isn't real when Jesus is very real, and we're praying she will choose to believe in Him someday.  Some people can do both Santa and Jesus, and maybe things will change next year in that respect.  But, for us, the core of Christmas will always be Jesus' birthday--the day God sent His son to earth to reconcile us to God if only we  1) come to terms with our sin and ask God to forgive us  2) Believe in Jesus and what He did for us, and  3) Demonstrate our changed hearts by pursuing Him in our lives.  I bring this up not to preach, but out of love.  I did not understand what it really means to be a Christian until a few years ago. That we all are imperfect (especially me), we all screw up and do stupid things (especially me), and we all desperately need a relationship with God (especially me).  And the good news is that we all can have one.  God did that for us through Jesus.  He loves us despite all of our faults and failures.  He'll take us just as we are.  But we have to accept His gift--Jesus. And He's something worth celebrating.  That's what Christmas is about--to me.

Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now.

Before we came downstairs on Christmas morning, we read a little bit about Jesus' birth in the bible from Luke 2, then we excitedly went to get Papa. After waiting for what seemed like an eternity for Papa to put his contacts in (he broke his glasses), we all headed downstairs to start opening gifts. It was a little anticlimactic because most of the gifts had been wrapped and under the tree for a few days.  But we enjoyed watching Grace open her new baby doll and stroller.  Grace took to her right away, wheeling her around our living room and kitchen.

After our family Christmas, we packed up and headed for Grandma and Grandpa's house to celebrate with them, and Uncle Seth and Ahguei--Grace's new bff.  Mom and Dad were, as always, overly generous with their gift giving.  Mom's gifts to us were impeccably wrapped and decorated, while Dad's were not so (I definitely take after my Dad).  Grace colored pictures for Uncle Seth and Ahguei, and made special wrapping paper for many of the gifts.  Some of my favorite memories will be of watching Grace "cook."  She all but emptied the pantry and set up her kitchen on the living room table, whipping up a wide array of delicacies for everyone to sample.  I think we must watch a little too much Food Network at our house.  I'm waiting for her to start saying, "Hey, Y'allll!" like Paula Dean.

Twas the Night Before Christmas

French Onion soup, a new Christmas Eve tradition

 Ready to open

The new baby in the house


Pushing baby in her new stroller

Giving Papa some Christmas love

The sucker was a big hit

 A digital picture frame for me

Fun times with Ahguei and Uncle Seth


Grace loves her new dollhouse from Nomma and Grandpa


A "Papa Cardinal" wind chime from Grandpa


A bird house from Grandma

Check out the title of the book from Uncle Eth; it's sure to be a hit

Grandma got lots of photos this year

Grace's new ride--a plasma car

We all enjoyed watching Grace dance to the tunes that this snow-globe plays

I hope that everyone had a wonderful Christmas full of family and joy.  We're off to the "Norwegian Auction" at Aunt Deb and Uncle Don's place this afternoon.   Grace is excited to get to see Riley again, and to walk on the balance beam that she found out is in Aunt Deb's basement.  It's sure to be a fun afternoon...



3 comments:

  1. We really enjoyed having you all here for the Lower celebration and Norwegian auction. Love (as always) your photos and your inspiring post. Thanks for joining us and for sharing Grace with us all...Love you...Aunt Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darling pictures. I appreciate you sharing your faith and beliefs, you can jump up on that soapbox anytime.

    French onion soup as a traditional Christmas Eve dinner....great idea. We are still looking for something that will work well for our family.

    You just have to forgive grandparents, we are so weak when it comes to our babies.....blessings for a great new year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Krysha -
    I saw your comment on my blog post from last week asking about EA fees. If you would like to email me, I would be glad to answer your questions. It would be more difficult to explain details on the blog. My email is jenniferlwilson14@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete