Lately our little angel has been a bit of a devil, desperate to exert more and more independence and control over her world. Maybe Papa being home for the summer has something to do with it. (Now there's some competition for Mom's attention.) But, with August fast approaching, and with it, Grace's second birthday, I'm sure it's just the "terrible twos" starting a bit early. Layers of sweetness are rapidly becoming interwoven with defiance, bossiness, and a stubborn and strong-willed spirit. And all the while, my patience is being tested and s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d, and my spirit getting a bit battered and bruised at times. It's not easy having a little person telling you what to do all day! Here's just some of what I've been hearing...
"Mommy, move over!"
"Mommy, move hair!"
"Mommy, take off blanket!"
"Mommy, come here!"
"Mommy, read!"
"Mommy, pay attention!"
"Mommy, no!"
"No, I no want to!"
"No, I no have to!"
etc., etc.....
And then there's the whining. Wow. It gets a little exhausting after a while. And, yes- I fully realize that this is just the beginning. I am thankful that the threat of a time-out is still usually enough to stop most problems (for now). The other day while Grace and I were out for a stroll, we walked past a house with a basset hound sculpture sitting on the porch. Grace said, "Doggy in time-out." Oh, she's still 99.9% sweet.
Although I do feel a bit worn down at times re-directing, explaining, and debating within myself how and what to discipline, the good far outweighs the "bad," if you can even call it that. Life does just keep getting sweeter and sweeter, and my love for her just keeps growing all the bigger. Bigger than my heart can even contain.
So, on this journey through toddlerhood, I'm sure I'll learn some good lessons along the way; this is un-marked territory after all. And if we have the chance to do it all over again someday, most likely I would make a few changes and do things a bit differently. Parenting is the toughest job you'll ever love, and it most definitely isn't for wimps...
6.29.2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Krysha...I think you just have to consider this toddler defiance as "paybacks" for when you did it as a little one. I'm pretty sure Noma and Papa probably wished this on you sometime in your history...I know I sure did it dozens of times when my girls were toddlers. It will pass.
ReplyDeleteLove, Aunt Deb